Sunday, July 19, 2015

In Memory of Barry Jeeves

As published by The Buzz June 2015



Artist and potter Barry Jeeves died on May 10, 2015. Born in Toronto, Barry moved to Prince Edward Island in 1971 and had a great influence on the PEI art scene as a teacher and mentor. He studied at the Ontario College of Art in Toronto and the Sir George Williams College of Art in Montreal and was an instructor at the Island’s School of Visual Arts.
Reflecting on her relationship with Barry Jeeves his student and friend, Arlene Rice, owner of Details Past and Present, says:

“I first met Barry Jeeves many years ago when I enrolled for an evening pottery class at the School of Visual Arts. Barry was the instructor. He was one of the most encouraging people I have ever met.


He was always in a positive mood and made you feel like your work had great potential.
“Years later I met Barry again when he approached me to carry his work in my gallery; I was thrilled. Whether it was a streetscape or a floral, his paintings always had a fresh, painterly look. He usually grew the flowers that he painted.

“I remember being at his home one time and admiring a large floral painting. I asked him if he had just finished it. He had a little smile on his face and said no, he had done that piece 40 years ago. That was a great testament of the timelessness of his work.

“When he started having difficulty getting around he would paint small streetscapes from his car, sizes that were small enough to handle within the confined space. They sold as quickly as he brought them in. He would call me when he was coming to town and I would meet him at his car to collect the paintings.

“Barry was one of the kindest and most talented people I have ever met and he leaves a great legacy to the art and craft world of PEI. There is a saying that those who can, do, and those who can’t, teach. Barry Jeeves was a man who did both with creativity, integrity and modesty. I will miss him.” Artist Richard Vickerson continues, “I met Barry about 1980. At that time Holland College School of Visual Arts was offering evening workshops and I decided to take Barry's painting class. I had always had an interest in painting, but I didn't really know how to get started. I had  some cheep oil paints, but found them impractical, so I began using a set of watercolours that I had purchased a few years before . Barry would have us paint still lives. I can still remember the subjects, his old lumberjack coat, work boots, flowers too old to sell from a local shop, a broken pot. I still have these paintings and come across them when I am in a mood to organize my chaotic studio. Barry's love for the process of painting was infectious. He would tell us stories of meeting a farmer who wondered what this man with flailing arms was doing in his field. He would find Barry vigorously painting a sunset before the colours faded. He instilled in all of us the idea that even the most modest subject was worth exploring, and in so doing, he opened up a new way of seeing the world around us. Over the years I have met many artists who have similar memories of Barry.  It would be difficult to measure the effect that Barry had on so many lives. I don't know when I would have come to watercolour, but my first efforts were with Barry. I will always remember his kind encouragement and guidance.”

Henry Purdy adds his comments: "I met Barry Jeeves in 1971 when he was hired as the Pottery Instructor for the Handcraft Training Centre. I was on the interview committee. I remember the committee being extremely impressed by Barry's personality and his desire to teach. Later, after he had left the teaching end of things to run his pottery business with Joan, he proved to be a great craftsperson." Purdy continues, "I hired Barry for Holland College to teach part time Pottery & Painting. He was an inspiration to all those students who came in contact with him. To this day I still have people mention the fact that Barry was so helpful, patient and encouraging to them as a teacher. The Island arts community has lost a very genuine, dedicated and gentle member....he will be missed."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts. Thanks
Mosaic shop